The first point of contact for students, faculty and staff is the University Police Department, but Winston-Salem police work cooperatively with campus police as needed.

The Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for covering areas outside city limits, but deputies also enforce laws within city limits.

On campus

Call 911 from a campus phone. Call 336.758.5911 from a cell phone.

If you call 911 on a cell phone on campus you will be connected with City of Winston-Salem communications center. Ask them to transfer you to Wake Forest police, who can send officers, firefighters and emergency medical personnel. You should add the emergency phone number to your list of contacts in your cell phone: 336-758-5911.

Off campus

Call 911. Winston-Salem dispatchers can send police, firefighters and emergency medical personnel anywhere in Forsyth County.

Emergency call boxes

  • Blue Light call boxes are located throughout campus [PDF Map]
  • Blue Light boxes do not have keypads: Push the button once to speak with a dispatcher
  • Telephone boxes are located near some building entrances: Pick up the receiver and dial 911 to reach a dispatcher.

When you reach 911, clearly state:

  • Nature of the emergency.
  • Whether the crime is in progress or is a past event.
  • Number of injured people and describe injuries.
  • Exact address or building, floor and area or department.
  • Descriptions of suspect(s) and last location.
  • Your name and telephone number. Do not hang up. Dispatchers may need additional information. Designate someone to meet rescuers.